@ ♥th-rainbowobsession.bs.com
BLOG LINKS

posts

St Andrew Cathedral Home for the Aged.
Friday, October 19, 2012

So yeaaah, made a visit to Old Folks Home with the Guides. Apparently they only accept female patients.. And that they all were splited into 3 rooms to sleep in.

I partnered up with this granny(I think her name was Ivy?) and she was so cute and active! I enjoyed talking to her a lot. She can stack the cups(the game we played to train their hands and reflexes) fast within time limit! And we click well :) We were chatting and being 84 this year, she shared with me her valuable life time stories.

I have no idea if she has any children capable of taking care of her but I guess no. She told me about herseld not wanting to be a burden to her older sister and of course, her family. She is just going to stay in the home until "the Lord takes me away," she said. Moreover, she had her small intestine removed so there was a limit
to her diet. You have no idea how sad I felt.

Apparently she was sent to the concentration camp when she was 12. However she had no chance to continue the really interesting story as we had to leave.. And she said she used to be a doctor's assistant and translator and she knows many languages except mandarin! Haha. She even brought me to her bed side and showed us around, and explained to me what she did during the day, when her favourite days are and what she enjoyed.

I felt a stab in my heart when she told me that all she did on normal days was to stay in the bed and read bible. I wish I could stay longer with her and let her tell me all she wanted to because I'm more than willing to be her captivated listener.

She won herself a packet of potato chips and she was very happy. And then we sang Yue Liang Dai Biao Wo De Xin for them. Time really passed fast and it was time to go(and the home was closing). So as much as I was reluctant to leave, I told her that I will be back and I hope to see her again, eventhough it might end up an empty promise. Though I'm not sure when I can be back. "Thanks for coming. May you be blessed do well in your studies." I can't clearly remember what she said but yah, roughly this. And she held my hand which made me miss my late grandma even more...
I think tears were welling up already.

And then there was this granny in her 90s. She is partially blind but she still did well in stacking the cups. She thanked me before I left and I was totally taken in by surprise. Because I did not help much but only held on to her hands to help her stack the cups... It was so heartfelt and had totally warmed my heart, making me want to stay longer. Granny Ivy always take care of her whenever they go out but she sometimes find her a burden. How can she say this? :'(

I will, one day, be back for volunteering jobs. I want to see the two grannies again dearly and I don't know how long more can they live. Life is very unpredictable and I won't know if one day Lord has taken granny Ivy away before I make a visit there again. I was so ashamed of myself to ever thought they would be those very picky kind of elderly.

I've always wanted to contribute to the society because I really appreciate what was given to me which I know I ain't supposed to have in the first place, what my parents couldn't give me in the first place. Though I am kind of a materialistic girl but to me I know I should be contented enough. I need not worry about money, food and basic goods, lodging and whatnots. Or at least up till now.

Now going to Old Folks Homs has been added to my bucket list for volunteering services. :)

Meiyuan
Posted On ( / Friday, October 19, 2012)





DISCLAIMER

Meiyuan, 15.
Pastels, pink, flowers, photography.

What if the world is a lie?

PAST POST

&! Click Here.♥ (:

August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
December 2012
January 2013
February 2013
March 2013
April 2013
May 2013
June 2013
July 2013
August 2013
November 2013


CREDITS

Don't remove the credit !
design : Bach Trang
host : ♥|♥|♥|♥
edit : me, myself & I.